IGEL, provider of the next-gen edge OS for cloud workspaces, announced the availability of IGEL OS 11.06. Recognized for its security and high performance, IGEL OS is a platform-independent Linux-based managed endpoint operating system that is purpose-built for secure, high-fidelity access to digital workspaces from any cloud. Version 11.06 further extends support for new peripherals and protocols available through IGEL Ready, IGEL’s fast-growing partner ecosystem.
“The global pandemic and the rapid expansion of remote work has driven the need for digital and cloud workspace solutions that enable businesses to promote business continuity, productivity and collaboration in a secure and sustainable manner,” said Matthias Haas, CTO, IGEL. “This, coupled with the ongoing hardware shortages and supply chain disruptions, demonstrate the important role that IGEL OS plays in empowering a more distributed and highly mobile workforce. We are pleased to be adding new integrations and capabilities that enable our partners and customers to solve for today’s work-from-anywhere business environment.”
New updates and integrations available with IGEL OS 11.06 include:
- VMware Horizon 2106 Microsoft Teams optimization for Linux supports high-fidelity connectivity and collaboration via IGEL OS-powered endpoints.
- Expanded integrations and support for Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD) including deviceTrust, which leverages contextual security to protect the endpoint; and, Lakeside SysTrack which offers augmented visibility into IGEL OS-powered endpoints leveraging virtual channels, provides IT organizations with workspace analytics on the performance of AVD at the endpoint.
- Windows365 and Cloud365 pre-boot authentication offers increased security against forbidden access.
- Support for the Citrix Workspace App 2106.
- Support for HP t430, t540 and t640 thin clients expands the flexibility of choice in selecting IGEL OS-compatible hardware.
- Automatic switching from LAN to Wi-Fi improves productivity and drives convenience for remote workers.
- Expanded browser support extends to Firefox version 78.12 and Chromium major version 91.
- Linux Kernel update to version 5.12.19 allows for integration with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux to accommodate all current security patches and supported hardware.
Covering the “Last Mile” to the End User and their Device with Amazon WorkSpaces
Another key integration for IGEL OS 11.06 is Amazon WorkSpaces 3.1.9. For businesses and remote workers, this integration helps solve several business challenges including:
- Creates an end-to-end solution to Amazon WorkSpaces with IGEL covering the last mile to the end-user and their device.
- Improves protection against malware by reducing the attack surface of a user’s device with a read-only, minimal Linux solution: IGEL OS
- Ensures the Amazon WorkSpaces experience as a focus inside IGEL OS, purpose-built for Amazon WorkSpaces
“We know the answer to remote work is not a single silver-bullet, but a posture of enterprise-ready technologies that can only be built on solid partnerships,” said Divya Saggar, Director, IGEL Ready. “Earlier this year, IGEL officially partnered with AWS when Amazon WorkSpaces launched on IGEL OS, and this has created an end-to-end solution that is now securing the last mile of an end user’s Amazon WorkSpaces experience. IGEL OS 11.06 will take the integration with Amazon WorkSpaces to the next level as the first mainstream IGEL OS release to incorporate this functionality.”
Established in July 2020, IGEL Ready now includes more than 100 technology partners providing hardware, software, and peripheral solutions that have been verified for use with IGEL OS. The above integrations underscore how IGEL is helping businesses improve the end-user experience in the work-from-anywhere era. For more information, visit: https://www.igel.com/ready.
See IGEL OS 11.06 this Fall at DISRUPT Unite Cloud Workspaces Forum
IGEL will be showcasing IGEL OS 11.06 during the DISRUPT Unite Cloud Workspaces Forum Roadshow, a series of one-day in-person events planned across cities in the United States and Europe starting September 23 in London. The event is designed to offer end user computing (EUC) professionals unparalleled insights into the technologies, best practices, and innovations to support today’s digital workers. Registration for the roadshow event is available now at https://disrupteuc.com/unite-2021.
Image licensed by unsplash.com